The Birth of a Nation (Deluxe 3-Disc Edition) (Blu-ray)
Directed by D. W. Griffith
Also Available On:Amazon
Henry B. Walthall
Almost a century after its release, THE BIRTH OF A NATION remains one of the most controversial films ever made... a landmark achievement that continues to fascinate and enrage audiences. It is the epic story of two families, one northern and one southern, during and after the Civil War. D.W. Griffith’s masterful direction combines brilliant battle scenes and tender romance with a vicious portrayal of African Americans. It was the greatest feature-length blockbuster yet to be produced in the United States, and the first to be shown in the White House. After seeing the film, President Woodrow Wilson declared it was “like writing history with lightning!” In cities and states across the country, the film energized the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), which tried to have the film banned, or at least the most gruesome scenes censored. The film also inspired African Americans to move into filmmaking as a way to offer alternative images and stories.
Blu-ray Extras Include:
DISC 1 - Blu-ray
- The Birth of a Nation, newly mastered in HD from archival 35mm elements
- Music by the Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra (2011), in 2.0 Stereo and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
- Spoken introductions by D.W. Griffith and Walter Huston (including the newly rediscovered intermission sequence)
DISC 2 (DVD)
- The Birth of a Nation, restored by David Shepard of Film Preservation Associates in 1993
- Orchestral score adapted in 1993 from the original score by Joseph Carl Breil, in 2.0 Stereo
- “The Making of The Birth of a Nation” (24 min.) Produced by David Shepard; Compiled and written by Russell Merritt
DISC 3 (DVD)
- Civil War shorts directed by D.W. Griffith: (Music by Jon C. Mirsalis unless indicated)
· In the Border States (1910, 16 min.)
· The House With Closed Shutters (1910, 17 min.)
· The Fugitive (1910, 17 min.)
· His Trust (1910, 14 min.)
Courtesy of David Shepard; Musical setting compiled and arranged by Robert Israel; Performed by the Biograph Quartet
· His Trust Fulfilled (1910, 11 min.)
· Swords and Hearts (1911, 16 min.)
· The Battle (1911, 17 min.)
- “New York vs. The Birth of a Nation”, Archival documents pertaining to the censorship battles over the film’s 1922 re-release
- Excerpts of souvenir program books
"One of the greatest American movies of all time!" - American Film Institute
"The Birth of a Nation remains an important and unforgettable historical document and I have never seen it look or sound better. It remains an impressive and draining experience - a journey that demands a position in any cinephile library. Blu-ray is recommended! - DVD Beaver
Interested in bringing The Birth of a Nation (Deluxe 3-Disc Edition) to your school or library? If you'd like to have an in-class viewing, on-campus screening, or purchase the DVD for your library's collection, please contact Estelle Grosso or call (212) 629-6880 with your request.
The Birth of a Nation (Deluxe 3-Disc Edition) may also be available with Public Performance Rights (PPR) and Digital Site Licensing (DSL) for colleges and universities. To purchase the DVD with PPR or DSL, please contact Estelle Grosso or call (212) 629-6880. Click here to learn more at Kino Lorber Edu.
"A valentine to humanity and a treasure of ticklish eroticism and wonder." – Marcia Pally, Penthouse New 30th anni…' https://t.co/fOmGJNtl65'
RT' @KLStudioClassic': Two November Sales! • Over 180 BD & DVDs - $5.99 & Up! • Free USA Shipping - Orders of $50 or More! NOIRVEMBER SALE!…
RT' @QuadCinema': "A mustard-collared peacoat...Mercier constantly wears it like a Spartan warrior strutting down the runway of a fashion sho…
RT' @cinemainitaly': Reminder that THE DISAPPEARANCE OF MY MOTHER is screening this Sunday 11/17 at the Museum of the Moving Image in NYC. Th…
RT' @MetrographNYC': "A haunting portrait." - Film Comment. RECORDER opens Friday 11/15 with director Matt Wolf in person all weekend with an…
RT' @Tribeca': In the aftermath of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas school shooting, filmmakers embedded themselves among the students and parent…
Don't miss a sneak preview of THE DISAPPEARANCE OF MY MOTHER, a documentary about model turned activist Benedetta B…' https://t.co/1oJrfd7x11'
RT' @DVDBeaver': Preston Sturges' "Christmas in July" Blu-ray' @KinoLorber' US:' https://t.co/ATv8WvyddM' CAN:' https://t.co/rRS3MRlHCR' UK: https:…
RT' @TheMtnFilm': “Shimmeringly surreal. Lanthimos meets Roy Andersson meets a heavy dose of lithium.” – Jessica Kiang,' @ThePlaylist' Rick Al…
Inquiries & Press
333 W. 39th St., Ste. 503
New York, NY 10018
Tel. (800) 562-3330
Fax. (212) 714-0871
Press & Media
For publicity assistance and press inquiries please contact us by emailing [email protected] or calling 212-629-6880.