Unearthing a treasure trove of archival footage, filmmakers Dan Geller and Dayna Goldfine have fashioned a dazzling and entrancing ode to the revolutionary 20th-century dance troupes that performed under the Ballets Russes banner. Ballets Russes maps the Diaghilev-era beginnings in turn-of-the-century Paris—when artists such as Nijinsky, Balanchine, Picasso, Matisse and Stravinsky united in an unparalleled collaboration—to the halcyon days in the 1930s and ’40s, when the Ballets Russes astonished American audiences with artistry never before seen, to the 1950s and ’60s when rising costs, rocketing egos, outside competition and internal mismanagement brought the last of the revered Ballets Russes companies to its knees. Directed with consummate invention and infused with juicy anecdotal interviews from many of the companies’ glamorous stars, Ballets Russes treats audiences to a rare glimpse of the remarkable dancers, choreographers, composers and designers who transformed the face of dance for generations to come.
DVD Extras Include:
- Gorgeous 16:9 anamorphic transfer, enhanced for widescreen TVs
- An hour-long, four-part series of additional behind-the-scenes, performance, rehearsal and interview footage with Ballets Russes dancers
- Rare archival footage, including excerpts of classic Ballets Russes performances of Swan Lake, Giselle and others
- Stills galleries featuring 200 photos of Ballets Russes stars, additional Ballets Russes dancers and vintage Ballets Russes program covers
- Original theatrical trailer
- English subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired
- 12-page booklet including liner notes by New York Times dance writer - Jack Anderson and production notes by the filmmakers
@IUcinema Sure does. ❤️ Always will!
Don't miss the wildly entertaining BACURAU! Today is the last day to get your virtual ticket for it at some theater…' https://t.co/Xqtu000RPR'
Loved BACURAU? Live in the US? (sorry non-US fans #wedontmaketherules) Don't forget that we're giving away a bu…' https://t.co/vyhbliozBb'
BACURAU's virtual theatrical run ends today in some theaters. 👀 But... did you know that if you get it today, you c…' https://t.co/3IE6eqoPnR'
Our fearless leader Richard Lorber spoke to' @BoxOffice' about our Kino Marquee initiative to support local independe…' https://t.co/9SQw51Au6s'
"Bacurau is the kind of non-English language film primed to find a devout audience in the United States," says…' https://t.co/zzGS5qHhKt'
RT' @_Ash_Clark': My colleague' @jrtrussell' is currently interviewing Udo Kier on a live YouTube stream and frankly deserves some kind of meda…
Inquiries & Press
333 W. 39th St., Ste. 503
New York, NY 10018
Tel. (800) 562-3330
Fax. (212) 714-0871
Press & Media
For publicity assistance and press inquiries please contact us by emailing email@example.com or calling 212-629-6880.