Unearthing a treasure trove of archival footage, filmmakers Dan Geller and Dayna Goldfine have fashioned a dazzling and entrancing ode to the revolutionary 20th-century dance troupes that performed under the Ballets Russes banner. Ballets Russes maps the Diaghilev-era beginnings in turn-of-the-century Paris—when artists such as Nijinsky, Balanchine, Picasso, Matisse and Stravinsky united in an unparalleled collaboration—to the halcyon days in the 1930s and ’40s, when the Ballets Russes astonished American audiences with artistry never before seen, to the 1950s and ’60s when rising costs, rocketing egos, outside competition and internal mismanagement brought the last of the revered Ballets Russes companies to its knees. Directed with consummate invention and infused with juicy anecdotal interviews from many of the companies’ glamorous stars, Ballets Russes treats audiences to a rare glimpse of the remarkable dancers, choreographers, composers and designers who transformed the face of dance for generations to come.
DVD Extras Include:
- Gorgeous 16:9 anamorphic transfer, enhanced for widescreen TVs
- An hour-long, four-part series of additional behind-the-scenes, performance, rehearsal and interview footage with Ballets Russes dancers
- Rare archival footage, including excerpts of classic Ballets Russes performances of Swan Lake, Giselle and others
- Stills galleries featuring 200 photos of Ballets Russes stars, additional Ballets Russes dancers and vintage Ballets Russes program covers
- Original theatrical trailer
- English subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired
- 12-page booklet including liner notes by New York Times dance writer - Jack Anderson and production notes by the filmmakers
Put a weird twist on Pride with our curated titles on' @kino_cult' 🍿🏳️🌈!' https://t.co/7qhoL5xmQG'
OLGA “speaks to the new agony of banishment now being felt by millions of Ukrainians.” – Peter Bradshaw, The Guardi…' https://t.co/ypmy7HkziB'
RT' @SeBiArt': YoW people! Human activity is testing our ability to re/member + sustain our imaginative powers towards different, expansive…
“A defiant film. Defiant in its politics, defiant in its tenderness and humanity, and defiantly hopeful for the fut…' https://t.co/KbOHGnB6Ac'
NEPTUNE FROST "begs to be seen on the big screen where you can get lost in the music and wonder of the film," raves…' https://t.co/PaaXqJVcG7'
RT' @SaulWilliams': Neptune Frost has expanded its orbit! Find the theater nearest you ' https://t.co/MXmFzobZB7'' https://t.co/WGCqQiCEgJ'
RT' @kino_cult': Put a weird twist on Pride with our curated titles on #KinoCult🍿🏳️🌈 -' https://t.co/jz8MRIRnKJ!'' https://t.co/2vzxvFgGLl'
'.@thewrap's'' @katiewalshstx' says says that in OLGA, "the power of the Ukrainian spirit comes through beautifully, un…' https://t.co/J6lPSaARXy'
RT' @clecinematheque': Catch NEPTUNE FROST tonight, 6/23 at 8:40 pm or Friday, 6/24 at 7:00 pm' @clecinematheque'!' https://t.co/NI8Yb8ZGl6' http…
Inquiries & Press
333 W. 39th St., Ste. 503
New York, NY 10018
Tel. (800) 562-3330
Fax. (212) 714-0871
Press & Media
For publicity assistance and press inquiries please contact us by emailing email@example.com or calling 212-629-6880.