Unearthing a treasure trove of archival footage, filmmakers Dan Geller and Dayna Goldfine have fashioned a dazzling and entrancing ode to the revolutionary 20th-century dance troupes that performed under the Ballets Russes banner. Ballets Russes maps the Diaghilev-era beginnings in turn-of-the-century Paris—when artists such as Nijinsky, Balanchine, Picasso, Matisse and Stravinsky united in an unparalleled collaboration—to the halcyon days in the 1930s and ’40s, when the Ballets Russes astonished American audiences with artistry never before seen, to the 1950s and ’60s when rising costs, rocketing egos, outside competition and internal mismanagement brought the last of the revered Ballets Russes companies to its knees. Directed with consummate invention and infused with juicy anecdotal interviews from many of the companies’ glamorous stars, Ballets Russes treats audiences to a rare glimpse of the remarkable dancers, choreographers, composers and designers who transformed the face of dance for generations to come.
DVD Extras Include:
- Gorgeous 16:9 anamorphic transfer, enhanced for widescreen TVs
- An hour-long, four-part series of additional behind-the-scenes, performance, rehearsal and interview footage with Ballets Russes dancers
- Rare archival footage, including excerpts of classic Ballets Russes performances of Swan Lake, Giselle and others
- Stills galleries featuring 200 photos of Ballets Russes stars, additional Ballets Russes dancers and vintage Ballets Russes program covers
- Original theatrical trailer
- English subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired
- 12-page booklet including liner notes by New York Times dance writer - Jack Anderson and production notes by the filmmakers
RT' @Kanopy': DOGTOOTH (2009) was the twisted, warped, maddening film that put Yorgos Lanthimos on the map! You can watch it here on Kanopy!…
RT' @Kanopy': ALPHAVILLE is one of Jean Luc-Godard's less popular films, but it's one of our favorites, probably because it feels like 1984 m…
RT' @Kanopy': A TOUCH OF SIN (Jia Zhangke, 2013)' https://t.co/Tt55pLVLwx'
RT' @erickohn': Hey NYC, if you *haven't* made room in your schedule to go see the very greatest movie of the year so far, get on it. My revi…
RT' @nathanvbarrios': Saw LONG DAY’S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT last night, a Chinese film now famous for its hour-long one-take in 3D, and I can con…
RT' @AriAster': LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT is just as gorgeous as everyone says. Truly dizzying showmanship. Run, don't walk.' https://t.co…'
RT' @nitehawkcinema': NY Times: "Very often, and particularly in its second half, watching it feels like dreaming with your eyes open." This…
RT' @TIFF_NET': LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT is a neon-noir that sculpts time and space through immersive visual feats — including a one hou…
RT' @IndieWire': Foreign films "Long Day's Journey Into Night" and "An Elephant Standing Still" are two of the year's best. Our film team pic…
Inquiries & Press
333 W. 39th St., Ste. 503
New York, NY 10018
Tel. (800) 562-3330
Fax. (212) 714-0871
Press & Media
For publicity assistance and press inquiries please contact us by emailing email@example.com or calling 212-629-6880.