Unearthing a treasure trove of archival footage, filmmakers Dan Geller and Dayna Goldfine have fashioned a dazzling and entrancing ode to the revolutionary 20th-century dance troupes that performed under the Ballets Russes banner. Ballets Russes maps the Diaghilev-era beginnings in turn-of-the-century Paris—when artists such as Nijinsky, Balanchine, Picasso, Matisse and Stravinsky united in an unparalleled collaboration—to the halcyon days in the 1930s and ’40s, when the Ballets Russes astonished American audiences with artistry never before seen, to the 1950s and ’60s when rising costs, rocketing egos, outside competition and internal mismanagement brought the last of the revered Ballets Russes companies to its knees. Directed with consummate invention and infused with juicy anecdotal interviews from many of the companies’ glamorous stars, Ballets Russes treats audiences to a rare glimpse of the remarkable dancers, choreographers, composers and designers who transformed the face of dance for generations to come.
DVD Extras Include:
- Gorgeous 16:9 anamorphic transfer, enhanced for widescreen TVs
- An hour-long, four-part series of additional behind-the-scenes, performance, rehearsal and interview footage with Ballets Russes dancers
- Rare archival footage, including excerpts of classic Ballets Russes performances of Swan Lake, Giselle and others
- Stills galleries featuring 200 photos of Ballets Russes stars, additional Ballets Russes dancers and vintage Ballets Russes program covers
- Original theatrical trailer
- English subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired
- 12-page booklet including liner notes by New York Times dance writer - Jack Anderson and production notes by the filmmakers
RT' @Slant_Magazine': Both BLUEBEARD and BLUE PANTHER come from a period in Claude Chabrol’s filmography that finds him moving away from the…
RT' @thedigitalbits': Bits #BD Review – Dennis checks out the 1988 romantic #thriller MASQUERADE starring Rob Lowe, Meg Tilly, and Kim Cattra…
RT' @GeekVibesNation': 'Test Pattern' Blu-Ray Review - Sexual Assault Drama Is An Emotionally Raw And Powerful Journey' https://t.co/dlqYlKZrs…'
“Critic’s Pick! Narrative perfection, with every scene perfectly calibrated.” – The New York Times Kiyoshi Kurosaw…' https://t.co/xjhkaUB3XH'
RT' @nytimesarts': Black-and-white frames preserved at the bottom of the North Atlantic provide fodder for poetry in Bill Morrison’s newest c…
RT' @Talkhouse': Bill Morrison (@decasia) on #TheVillageDetective ' https://t.co/KS6jPAt2IZ'
RT' @Talkhouse': Director Bill Morrison on archival footage, history, and his new documentary, #TheVillageDetective ' https://t.co/KS6jPAt2IZ'
RT' @KLStudioClassic': Coming December 7th! The Long Goodbye (1973) • Brand New Master – 4K Scan of the Inter-positive • NEW Audio Commentar…
"Critic's Pick! Bill Morrison, the poet laureate of lost films, turns the story of footage found near Iceland into…' https://t.co/2LufC3IBFZ'
Inquiries & Press
333 W. 39th St., Ste. 503
New York, NY 10018
Tel. (800) 562-3330
Fax. (212) 714-0871
Press & Media
For publicity assistance and press inquiries please contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 212-629-6880.