The Living Dead Girl (DVD)
Directed by Jean Rollin
Catherine Valmont Françoise Blanchard
HÃ©lÃ¨ne Marina Pierro
Composed by Philippe d'Aram
Cinematographer Max Monteillet
Directed by Jean Rollin
THE LIVING DEAD GIRL (La Morte Vivante) is the story of Catherine Valmont (Françoise Blanchard), a wealthy heiress dead before her time, who is accidentally reanimated when some unfortunate movers attempt to store drums of chemical waste in the neglected burial vaults below her uninhabited chateau. Rollin's "living dead girl" does everything that cinematic convention requires - she kills people, drinks human blood, devours human flesh - yet, for all this, we accept her as an innocent. Meanwhile, the effect that her resurrection has upon her childhood friend, Hélène (Marina Pierro), is infinitely more conscious, deliberate, and evil.
Bloodier and more violent than his own tastes preferred, THE LIVING DEAD GIRL forced Rollin to work against the grain in his own preferred genre - and he transformed himself in the process. In the unsettling, bloody finale, Blanchard's performance was so intense, so extreme in its confused appetite, revulsion, and glee, the take was nearly interrupted out of concern for the actress's mental health. It's one of the most emotionally incendiary finales in horror film history.
(excerpt of the essay from Tim Lucas)
DVD Extras Include:
- Mastered in HD from the 35mm negative
- French with optional English subtitles
- Introduction from Jean Rollin
- Four featurettes by Daniel Gouyette:
- "Jean-Pierre Bouyxou on La Morte Vivante"
- "The Living Dead Girl: The American Version"
- "Music by Philippe D'Aram"
- "When I Was Seventeen: An Homage to BenoÃƒï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½ÃƒÂ¯Ã‚Â¿Ã‚Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â¯Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â¿Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â¯Ãƒï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â¿Ãƒï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½ÃƒÂ¯Ã‚Â¿Ã‚Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â¯Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â¿Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½ÃƒÂ¯Ã‚Â¿Ã‚Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â®t Lestang"
- Jean Rollin at Fantasia (2007, 36 min.)
- Excerpt of an interview with Jean Rollin by Joshua T. Gravel
- 12-page booklet with an essay by Tim Lucas, editor of Video Watchdog
- Original theatrical trailer
- Original trailers of nine other Rollin films
One of the most incendiary finales in horror film history." - Tim Lucas, Editor of VIDEO WATCHDOG
4K restoration of Serge Gainsbourg's JE T'AIME MOI NON PLUS starring Jane Birkin + Joe Dallesandro continues for an…' https://t.co/uV3EpJgdxL'
"Tom Mercier projects a feral intensity, a boundless energy that’s frightening in its freedom.” –' @bhkoe' //…' https://t.co/aKCBrFc30L'
RT' @cinemasentries': Hercules in the Haunted World Blu-ray Review: Sword & Sandals Meets Horror' https://t.co/keJdiB5TQ8' (via' @cinemasentries…'
RT' @TrailersFromHel': Glenn Erickson of' @CineSavant' opines that Alec Guinness & Stanley Holloway shine as a pair of nobodies who take the Ba…
RT' @MoviesSilently': I take a look at' @KinoLorber's' triple feature release of UNCLE TOM'S CABIN, which features versions made in 1911, 1914,…
RT' @anthropocene': How Humans Have Changed the Earth's Geology: an interview with Jennifer Baichwal and' @nickdepencier' on ANTHROPOCENE: The…
"They say the future of film is female. It is. But so is the past." Thank you' @boulderweekly' for this fantastic pi…' https://t.co/f5AZhLNirc'
“Deliriously unpredictable. Careens from one scene to the next in a whirlwind of personal and political meaning. An…' https://t.co/oYELklJhQY'
Yorgos Lanthimos's early film KINETTA opens this weekend at' @MovingImageNYC', including double features with DOGTOO…' https://t.co/HoTjcVmXEf'
Inquiries & Press
333 W. 39th St., Ste. 503
New York, NY 10018
Tel. (800) 562-3330
Fax. (212) 714-0871
Press & Media
For publicity assistance and press inquiries please contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 212-629-6880.