The Living Dead Girl (DVD)
Directed by Jean Rollin
Catherine Valmont Françoise Blanchard
HÃ©lÃ¨ne Marina Pierro
Composed by Philippe d'Aram
Cinematographer Max Monteillet
Directed by Jean Rollin
THE LIVING DEAD GIRL (La Morte Vivante) is the story of Catherine Valmont (Françoise Blanchard), a wealthy heiress dead before her time, who is accidentally reanimated when some unfortunate movers attempt to store drums of chemical waste in the neglected burial vaults below her uninhabited chateau. Rollin's "living dead girl" does everything that cinematic convention requires - she kills people, drinks human blood, devours human flesh - yet, for all this, we accept her as an innocent. Meanwhile, the effect that her resurrection has upon her childhood friend, Hélène (Marina Pierro), is infinitely more conscious, deliberate, and evil.
Bloodier and more violent than his own tastes preferred, THE LIVING DEAD GIRL forced Rollin to work against the grain in his own preferred genre - and he transformed himself in the process. In the unsettling, bloody finale, Blanchard's performance was so intense, so extreme in its confused appetite, revulsion, and glee, the take was nearly interrupted out of concern for the actress's mental health. It's one of the most emotionally incendiary finales in horror film history.
(excerpt of the essay from Tim Lucas)
DVD Extras Include:
- Mastered in HD from the 35mm negative
- French with optional English subtitles
- Introduction from Jean Rollin
- Four featurettes by Daniel Gouyette:
- "Jean-Pierre Bouyxou on La Morte Vivante"
- "The Living Dead Girl: The American Version"
- "Music by Philippe D'Aram"
- "When I Was Seventeen: An Homage to BenoÃƒï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½ÃƒÂ¯Ã‚Â¿Ã‚Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â¯Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â¿Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â¯Ãƒï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â¿Ãƒï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½ÃƒÂ¯Ã‚Â¿Ã‚Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â¯Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â¿Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½ÃƒÂ¯Ã‚Â¿Ã‚Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â®t Lestang"
- Jean Rollin at Fantasia (2007, 36 min.)
- Excerpt of an interview with Jean Rollin by Joshua T. Gravel
- 12-page booklet with an essay by Tim Lucas, editor of Video Watchdog
- Original theatrical trailer
- Original trailers of nine other Rollin films
One of the most incendiary finales in horror film history." - Tim Lucas, Editor of VIDEO WATCHDOG
@Merz_2' @TheLoftCinema'' @VIFFest'' @mdffparkway'' @aperturecinema'' @jbfc_ny'' @TheLittleRoch'' @amblertheater'' @indiememphis…'' https://t.co/77niuyC4so'
RT' @andywinter1': Been catching up on some' @FilmComment' podcasts and particularly enjoyed this one about the excellent #Bacurau ' https://t.c…'
@pdxcubfan So sorry about that, we are having some issues with the app-based viewing options. Working to fix ASAP b…' https://t.co/7CBluuKqm0'
@jmayes' @TheLoftCinema'' @VIFFest'' @mdffparkway'' @aperturecinema'' @jbfc_ny'' @TheLittleRoch'' @amblertheater'' @indiememphis…'' https://t.co/liPLFuAlJR'
@Merz_2' @TheLoftCinema'' @VIFFest'' @mdffparkway'' @aperturecinema'' @jbfc_ny'' @TheLittleRoch'' @amblertheater'' @indiememphis…'' https://t.co/IaC9BM4TNL'
@jmayes Hi James, yes, it should be viewable under My Library. Can you send us a note to firstname.lastname@example.org and we…' https://t.co/0FZmWtYZjk'
Looking for a way to support independent movie theaters? Do like you've always done... watch a movie! BACURAU is…' https://t.co/APCCM6dQtH'
@TheLittleRoch We tried, but we couldn't catch 'em.
RT' @GloriousSwanson': “Alright Mr. DeMille I’m ready for my close-up!” Happy birthday to our Aries... The incomparable #GloriaSwanson who w…
Inquiries & Press
333 W. 39th St., Ste. 503
New York, NY 10018
Tel. (800) 562-3330
Fax. (212) 714-0871
Press & Media
For publicity assistance and press inquiries please contact us by emailing email@example.com or calling 212-629-6880.