The Living Dead Girl (Blu-ray)
Directed by Jean Rollin
Catherine Valmont Françoise Blanchard
HÃ©lÃ¨ne Marina Pierro
Composed by Philippe d'Aram
Cinematographer Max Monteillet
Directed by Jean Rollin
THE LIVING DEAD GIRL (La Morte Vivante) is the story of Catherine Valmont (Françoise Blanchard), a wealthy heiress dead before her time, who is accidentally reanimated when some unfortunate movers attempt to store drums of chemical waste in the neglected burial vaults below her uninhabited chateau. Rollin's "living dead girl" does everything that cinematic convention requires - she kills people, drinks human blood, devours human flesh - yet, for all this, we accept her as an innocent. Meanwhile, the effect that her resurrection has upon her childhood friend, Hélène (Marina Pierro), is infinitely more conscious, deliberate, and evil.
Bloodier and more violent than his own tastes preferred, THE LIVING DEAD GIRL forced Rollin to work against the grain in his own preferred genre - and he transformed himself in the process. In the unsettling, bloody finale, Blanchard's performance was so intense, so extreme in its confused appetite, revulsion, and glee, the take was nearly interrupted out of concern for the actress's mental health. It's one of the most emotionally incendiary finales in horror film history.
(excerpt of the essay from Tim Lucas)
Blu-ray Extras Include:
- Mastered in HD from the 35mm negative
- French with optional English subtitles
- Introduction from Jean Rollin
- Four featurettes by Daniel Gouyette:
- "Jean-Pierre Bouyxou on La Morte Vivante"
- "The Living Dead Girl: The American Version"
- "Music by Philippe D'Aram"
- "When I Was Seventeen: An Homage to BenoÃƒï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½ÃƒÂ¯Ã‚Â¿Ã‚Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â¯Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â¿Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â¯Ãƒï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â¿Ãƒï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½ÃƒÂ¯Ã‚Â¿Ã‚Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â¯Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â¿Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½ÃƒÂ¯Ã‚Â¿Ã‚Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â®t Lestang"
- Jean Rollin at Fantasia (2007, 36 min.)
- Excerpt of an interview with Jean Rollin by Joshua T. Gravel
- 12-page booklet with an essay by Tim Lucas, editor of Video Watchdog
- Original theatrical trailer
- Original trailers of nine other Rollin films
One of the most incendiary finales in horror film history." - Tim Lucas, Editor of VIDEO WATCHDOG
RT' @JordanCronk': Half-year films (2/2): • Hotel by the River (Hong Sangsoo) • The Image Book (Jean-Luc Godard) • Long Day’s Journey Into Ni…
RT' @JordanCronk': Half-year films (1/2): • Asako I & II (Ryûsuke Hamaguchi) • Ash Is Purest White (Jia Zhangke) • Diamantino (Gabriel Abrant…
RT' @ioncinema': Lila Avilés' @lilaavilescine' just won Best Feature from a 1st Time Director at the Ariel Award ( Mexican Oscars) for THE CHAM…
RT' @Screendaily': ‘Portrait Of A Lady On Fire’ star Adele Haenel romantic comedy ‘The Trouble With You’ lands at' @KinoLorber' (exclusive) htt…
"Extraordinary. [Goes] behind the scenes of a major New York drag competition and detailed the administrative eleme…' https://t.co/gganDqZXaI'
RT' @ioncinema': We interviewed lead actress Gabriela Cartol' @GabrielaCartol' for THE CHAMBERMAID late last year /' @KinoLorber' release the fil…
"What can democracy in even its best form achieve, the film asks, when it’s still beholden to global capitalism?"…' https://t.co/Myia6RzRbN'
RT' @tnyfrontrow': Another word on The Queen, the long-awaited restoration and re-released (at' @IFCCenter' ) of Frank Simon's historic 1968 do…
RT' @KLStudioClassic': Coming in October And Soon the Darkness Baby Blood Ffolkes Kundun The Mind Benders The Monster My Boyfriend's Back Ni…
Inquiries & Press
333 W. 39th St., Ste. 503
New York, NY 10018
Tel. (800) 562-3330
Fax. (212) 714-0871
Press & Media
For publicity assistance and press inquiries please contact us by emailing email@example.com or calling 212-629-6880.