The Living Dead Girl (Blu-ray)
Directed by Jean Rollin
Catherine Valmont Françoise Blanchard
HÃ©lÃ¨ne Marina Pierro
Composed by Philippe d'Aram
Cinematographer Max Monteillet
Directed by Jean Rollin
THE LIVING DEAD GIRL (La Morte Vivante) is the story of Catherine Valmont (Françoise Blanchard), a wealthy heiress dead before her time, who is accidentally reanimated when some unfortunate movers attempt to store drums of chemical waste in the neglected burial vaults below her uninhabited chateau. Rollin's "living dead girl" does everything that cinematic convention requires - she kills people, drinks human blood, devours human flesh - yet, for all this, we accept her as an innocent. Meanwhile, the effect that her resurrection has upon her childhood friend, Hélène (Marina Pierro), is infinitely more conscious, deliberate, and evil.
Bloodier and more violent than his own tastes preferred, THE LIVING DEAD GIRL forced Rollin to work against the grain in his own preferred genre - and he transformed himself in the process. In the unsettling, bloody finale, Blanchard's performance was so intense, so extreme in its confused appetite, revulsion, and glee, the take was nearly interrupted out of concern for the actress's mental health. It's one of the most emotionally incendiary finales in horror film history.
(excerpt of the essay from Tim Lucas)
Blu-ray Extras Include:
- Mastered in HD from the 35mm negative
- French with optional English subtitles
- Introduction from Jean Rollin
- Four featurettes by Daniel Gouyette:
- "Jean-Pierre Bouyxou on La Morte Vivante"
- "The Living Dead Girl: The American Version"
- "Music by Philippe D'Aram"
- "When I Was Seventeen: An Homage to BenoÃƒï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½ÃƒÂ¯Ã‚Â¿Ã‚Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â¯Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â¿Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â¯Ãƒï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â¿Ãƒï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½ÃƒÂ¯Ã‚Â¿Ã‚Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â¯Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â¿Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½ÃƒÂ¯Ã‚Â¿Ã‚Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â®t Lestang"
- Jean Rollin at Fantasia (2007, 36 min.)
- Excerpt of an interview with Jean Rollin by Joshua T. Gravel
- 12-page booklet with an essay by Tim Lucas, editor of Video Watchdog
- Original theatrical trailer
- Original trailers of nine other Rollin films
One of the most incendiary finales in horror film history." - Tim Lucas, Editor of VIDEO WATCHDOG
RT' @TheMtnFilm': “Shimmeringly surreal. Lanthimos meets Roy Andersson meets a heavy dose of lithium.” – Jessica Kiang,' @ThePlaylist' Rick Al…
Leos Carax's restored debut feature BOY MEETS GIRL starring Denis Lavant + Mireille Perrier is available to rent or…' https://t.co/YyMHQdghXn'
Also thrilled to see Idir Ben Addi recognized for his work in the Dardennes' YOUNG AHMED!
Tom Mercier is truly a revelation in Nadav Lapid's SYNONYMS and very deserving of this #César2020 nomination for Br…' https://t.co/C3msUYYL4Y'
RT' @r_emmet': Out today on DVD and Blu-ray from' @KinoLorber'! Perverse fun for the whole family!' https://t.co/XaziutwRws'
RT' @deadentsite': '.@KinoLorber's' new collection brings together five of' @AlfredHitchcock's' earlier works, from a time before he cemented him…
We are grateful for the opportunity to bring this inspiring film to audiences to honor the anniversary of the Parkl…' https://t.co/Hzii3pILeJ'
RT' @THR': Doc #AfterParkland, which had its world premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival, will open in New York and L.A. on Nov. 29 with a wi…
RT' @AfterParkland': So excited to announce that' @KinoLorber' will be distributing' @AfterParkland' to theaters early next year, following a qua…
Inquiries & Press
333 W. 39th St., Ste. 503
New York, NY 10018
Tel. (800) 562-3330
Fax. (212) 714-0871
Press & Media
For publicity assistance and press inquiries please contact us by emailing [email protected] or calling 212-629-6880.