The Birth of a Nation (Deluxe 3-Disc Edition) (DVD)
Directed by D. W. Griffith
Also Available On:Amazon Booking Inquiry
Henry B. Walthall
Almost a century after its release, THE BIRTH OF A NATION remains one of the most controversial films ever made... a landmark achievement that continues to fascinate and enrage audiences. It is the epic story of two families, one northern and one southern, during and after the Civil War. D.W. Griffith’s masterful direction combines brilliant battle scenes and tender romance with a vicious portrayal of African Americans. It was the greatest feature-length blockbuster yet to be produced in the United States, and the first to be shown in the White House. After seeing the film, President Woodrow Wilson declared it was “like writing history with lightning!” In cities and states across the country, the film energized the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), which tried to have the film banned, or at least the most gruesome scenes censored. The film also inspired African Americans to move into filmmaking as a way to offer alternative images and stories.
DVD Extras Include:
- The Birth of a Nation, newly mastered in HD from archival 35mm elements
- Music by the Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra (2011), in 2.0 Stereo and Dolby Digital 5.1
- Spoken introductions by D.W. Griffith and Walter Huston (including the newly rediscovered intermission sequence)
- The Birth of a Nation, restored by David Shepard of Film Preservation Associates in 1993
- Orchestral score adapted in 1993 from the original score by Joseph Carl Breil, in 2.0 Stereo
- “The Making of The Birth of a Nation” (24 min.) Produced by David Shepard; Compiled and written by Russell Merritt
- Civil War shorts directed by D.W. Griffith: (Music by Jon C. Mirsalis unless indicated)
· In the Border States (1910, 16 min.)
· The House With Closed Shutters (1910, 17 min.)
· The Fugitive (1910, 17 min.)
· His Trust (1910, 14 min.)
Courtesy of David Shepard; Musical setting compiled and arranged by Robert Israel; Performed by the Biograph Quartet
· His Trust Fulfilled (1910, 11 min.)
· Swords and Hearts (1911, 16 min.)
· The Battle (1911, 17 min.)
- “New York vs. The Birth of a Nation”, Archival documents pertaining to the censorship battles over the film’s 1922 re-release
- Excerpts of souvenir program books
"One of the greatest American movies of all time!" - American Film Institute
"The Birth of a Nation remains an important and unforgettable historical document and I have never seen it look or sound better. It remains an impressive and draining experience - a journey that demands a position in any cinephile library. Blu-ray is recommended! - DVD Beaver
RT' @DVDBeaver': BONUS CAPTURES: Hungarian Dark Cinema "Budapest Noir" Blu-ray' @KinoLorber' US:' https://t.co/yIeVqpw5UO' CAN:' https://t.co/XluX…'
RT' @KLStudioClassic': Coming 6/30! Not for Publication • New 4K Master • Audio Commentary by Allan Arkush & Daniel Kremer • Doc About Paul…
@RavidHaz' @ManohlaDargis' On our platform it will be limited to U.S. and Canada. There are different distributors fo…' https://t.co/Fwi1ETxwDc'
Oscar shortlisted Russian drama BEANPOLE makes its premiere on #KinoMarquee tomorrow! See the film' @ManohlaDargis' c…' https://t.co/cH1Pyoq7I0'
@brayden_love There is a known issue with the Roku app loading slowly. And sometimes if you're the first person to…' https://t.co/876QV3mfNU'
RT' @brokehorrorfan': Murder by Decree pits Sherlock Holmes against Jack the Ripper on Blu-ray from' @KinoLorber':' https://t.co/JHyb1NWDuZ' Dir…
RT' @DVDBeaver': John Schlesinger's "Billy Liar" Blu-ray - Tom Courtenay Blu-ray' @KinoLorber' US:' https://t.co/dr4FI2GFqN' CAN:' https://t.co/Pi…'
RT' @DVDBeaver': Joseph Losey "Secret Ceremony" Blu-ray' @KinoLorber' Elizabeth Taylor, Mia Farrow, Robert Mitchum US:' https://t.co/Kt9dAdoD9s…'
RT' @BRfilmsAllen': At a time when nurses are as important as they've ever been,' @KinoLorber' is streaming for free Carolyn Jones' 2014 doc "T…
Inquiries & Press
333 W. 39th St., Ste. 503
New York, NY 10018
Tel. (800) 562-3330
Fax. (212) 714-0871
Press & Media
For publicity assistance and press inquiries please contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 212-629-6880.