Biograph Shorts (Special Edition) (DVD)
Directed by D. W. Griffith
Directed by D. W. Griffith
The selection of motion pictures featured in this two-disc set traces D. W. Griffith's rapid, unparalleled development as a filmmaker during his five year stint at the Biograph Company -- a development that contributed substantially to the emergence of film as a powerful form of cultural expression.
From the crude humor and melodramatic devices of The Adventures of Dollie (1908) through the remarkably dynamic The Battle at Elderbush Gulch (1913), one is able to witness Griffith's rapid gains in self-confidence and increasing command over the still new medium of motion pictures.
Griffith was noted for many achievements, but among his most striking was the use of parallel editing, both for purpose of suspense (An Unseen Enemy, The Lesser Evil) and to generate a powerful social commentary (Corner in Wheat, The Usurer). But, as The Unchanging Sea demonstrates, he was also able to harness the technique for more elegiac purposes. In these fifteen films -- plus eight bonus shorts -- one finds Griffith experimenting with (and thus contributing to the development of) various genres, including the Western (The Last Drop of Water), the crime picture (The Musketeers of Pig Alley), and the seafaring drama (Enoch Arden, one of Griffith's earliest two-reel endeavors).
Disc One contents:
- Those Awful Hats (1909. 3 mins.)
- The Sealed Room (1909. 11 mins.)
- Corner in Wheat (1909. 14 mins.)
- The Unchanging Sea (1910. 13 mins.)
- His Trust (1911. 14 mins.)
- The New York Hat (1912. 16 mins.)
- An Unseen Enemy (1912. 15 mins.)
- The Mothering Heart (1913. 23 mins.)
- (bonus short) The Adventures of Dollie (1908. 12 mins.)
- (bonus short) The Usurer (1910. 18 mins.)
- (bonus short) Enoch Arden (1911. 33 mins.)
- (bonus short) The Miser's Heart (1911. 16 mins.)
Disc Two contents:
- The Musketeers of Pig Alley (1912. 18 mins.)
- The Burglar's Dilemma (1912. 15 mins.)
- The Sunbeam (1912. 15 mins.)
- The Painted Lady (1912. 12 mins.)
- One is Business, The Other Crime (1912. 15 mins.)
- Death's Marathon (1913. 15 mins.)
- The Battle at Elderbush Gulch (1913. 29 mins.)
- (bonus short) The Last Drop of Water (1911. 13 mins.)
- (bonus short) Friends (1912. 13 mins.)
- (bonus short) The Lesser Evil (1912. 13 mins.)
- (bonus short) The Massacre (1912. 30 mins.)
Interested in bringing Biograph Shorts (Special Edition) to your school or library? If you'd like to have an in-class viewing, on-campus screening, or purchase the DVD for your library's collection, please contact Estelle Grosso or call (212) 629-6880 with your request.
Biograph Shorts (Special Edition) may also be available with Public Performance Rights (PPR) and Digital Site Licensing (DSL) for colleges and universities. To purchase the DVD with PPR or DSL, please contact Estelle Grosso or call (212) 629-6880. Click here to learn more at Kino Lorber Edu.
RT' @PauBox': Epico!!! Nominados a los #Ariel2019 incluidos mejor película para #LaCamarista ❤️ Que felicidad. Ya en cines en Francia y estre…
RT' @CinemaTropical': Mexico's THE CHAMBERMAID by' @lilaavilescine' tops the San Francisco Film Festival' https://t.co/nztyMFHeyF' #Mexico #SFFIL…
RT' @CinemaTropical': The #Ariel2019 nominees for Best Picture are: LA CAMARISTA by' @lilaavilescine'' @NinasBienPeli' by' @marquezabella' ' @ROMACu…'
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920), Metropolis (1927), and Nosferatu (1922) top this' @io9' list of eight silent film…' https://t.co/0RpqyMsz36'
RT' @FilmLinc': "Chinese director Bi Gan explores nostalgia and obsession in a manner that recalls Tarkovsky, Malick and Wong Kar-wai." -' @Th…'
Final days to take advantage of' @KLStudioClassic's' big April sale. Over 200 titles, free shipping in U.S. on orders…' https://t.co/uLYJbglrZT'
@pryll_' @alamodrafthouse' We're adding theaters each week so stay tuned! Including some more Drafthouses (we hope).
RT' @igor_s__': Thrilled to learn that Dennis Scholl &' @kareemtabsch's'' @miamijff' audience award winning film' @thelastresortmovie' is now strea…
RT' @queerguru': A sneak peek at 1968 extraordinary classic gay movie #THEQUEEN lovingly restored and soon to be released to the world by' @Ki…'
Inquiries & Press
333 W. 39th St., Ste. 503
New York, NY 10018
Tel. (800) 562-3330
Fax. (212) 714-0871
Press & Media
For publicity assistance and press inquiries please contact us by emailing email@example.com or calling 212-629-6880.