Biograph Shorts (Special Edition) (DVD)
Directed by D. W. Griffith
Directed by D. W. Griffith
The selection of motion pictures featured in this two-disc set traces D. W. Griffith's rapid, unparalleled development as a filmmaker during his five year stint at the Biograph Company -- a development that contributed substantially to the emergence of film as a powerful form of cultural expression.
From the crude humor and melodramatic devices of The Adventures of Dollie (1908) through the remarkably dynamic The Battle at Elderbush Gulch (1913), one is able to witness Griffith's rapid gains in self-confidence and increasing command over the still new medium of motion pictures.
Griffith was noted for many achievements, but among his most striking was the use of parallel editing, both for purpose of suspense (An Unseen Enemy, The Lesser Evil) and to generate a powerful social commentary (Corner in Wheat, The Usurer). But, as The Unchanging Sea demonstrates, he was also able to harness the technique for more elegiac purposes. In these fifteen films -- plus eight bonus shorts -- one finds Griffith experimenting with (and thus contributing to the development of) various genres, including the Western (The Last Drop of Water), the crime picture (The Musketeers of Pig Alley), and the seafaring drama (Enoch Arden, one of Griffith's earliest two-reel endeavors).
Disc One contents:
- Those Awful Hats (1909. 3 mins.)
- The Sealed Room (1909. 11 mins.)
- Corner in Wheat (1909. 14 mins.)
- The Unchanging Sea (1910. 13 mins.)
- His Trust (1911. 14 mins.)
- The New York Hat (1912. 16 mins.)
- An Unseen Enemy (1912. 15 mins.)
- The Mothering Heart (1913. 23 mins.)
- (bonus short) The Adventures of Dollie (1908. 12 mins.)
- (bonus short) The Usurer (1910. 18 mins.)
- (bonus short) Enoch Arden (1911. 33 mins.)
- (bonus short) The Miser's Heart (1911. 16 mins.)
Disc Two contents:
- The Musketeers of Pig Alley (1912. 18 mins.)
- The Burglar's Dilemma (1912. 15 mins.)
- The Sunbeam (1912. 15 mins.)
- The Painted Lady (1912. 12 mins.)
- One is Business, The Other Crime (1912. 15 mins.)
- Death's Marathon (1913. 15 mins.)
- The Battle at Elderbush Gulch (1913. 29 mins.)
- (bonus short) The Last Drop of Water (1911. 13 mins.)
- (bonus short) Friends (1912. 13 mins.)
- (bonus short) The Lesser Evil (1912. 13 mins.)
- (bonus short) The Massacre (1912. 30 mins.)
Interested in bringing Biograph Shorts (Special Edition) to your school or library? If you'd like to have an in-class viewing, on-campus screening, or purchase the DVD for your library's collection, please contact Estelle Grosso or call (212) 629-6880 with your request.
Biograph Shorts (Special Edition) may also be available with Public Performance Rights (PPR) and Digital Site Licensing (DSL) for colleges and universities. To purchase the DVD with PPR or DSL, please contact Estelle Grosso or call (212) 629-6880. Click here to learn more at Kino Lorber Edu.
RT' @TheMtnFilm': THE MOUNTAIN is now playing at' @PolkTheatre' in Lakeland, the' @OKCMOA' in Oklahoma City, and the' @Belcourt' Theatre in Nashvil…
RT' @GloriousSwanson': Watching STAGE STRUCK (1925) on blu-ray is the only way to see #GloriaSwanson in glorious hi-def colour. Below are scr…
RT' @citizendamepod': '.@lhbizness' reviews Hitchcock's Blackmail, one of his greatest British films, in a new release from Kino Lorber https:/…
RT' @JimTudorFilm': I review three GREAT comedies by Férid Boughedir, currently on Blu-ray from' @KinoLorber'' @zekefilm' ' https://t.co/wV3Kmwi3u…'
RT' @bijoufilmcenter': Richmond premiere of' @TheMtnFilm'' @KinoLorber' on Sun, 9/8, 7:15 pm' @thebyrdrva' ! Director' @ralver' will intro and Q&A,…
Wonderful' @Variety' piece on' @lilaavilescine's' THE CHAMBERMAID and its success here in the U.S. where it is Certifie…' https://t.co/cB6V1R9mI5'
RT' @Variety_Film': ‘The Chambermaid’ Cleans Up in the U.S.' https://t.co/JRh4UjMgY7'' https://t.co/nCcR5TkVFa'
RT' @Under_Radar_Mag': Writer' @TheCriticlysm' explores the new' @KinoLorber' Blu-ray of Babylon, a cult British film that's finally receiving it…
RT' @KLRepertory': See THE HARDER THEY COME' @metrograph' and watch our BABYLON via' @criterionchannl' and on #Bluray / #DVD via' @KinoLorber'. #Ba…
Inquiries & Press
333 W. 39th St., Ste. 503
New York, NY 10018
Tel. (800) 562-3330
Fax. (212) 714-0871
Press & Media
For publicity assistance and press inquiries please contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 212-629-6880.