Biograph Shorts (Special Edition) (DVD)
Directed by D. W. Griffith
Directed by D. W. Griffith
The selection of motion pictures featured in this two-disc set traces D. W. Griffith's rapid, unparalleled development as a filmmaker during his five year stint at the Biograph Company -- a development that contributed substantially to the emergence of film as a powerful form of cultural expression.
From the crude humor and melodramatic devices of The Adventures of Dollie (1908) through the remarkably dynamic The Battle at Elderbush Gulch (1913), one is able to witness Griffith's rapid gains in self-confidence and increasing command over the still new medium of motion pictures.
Griffith was noted for many achievements, but among his most striking was the use of parallel editing, both for purpose of suspense (An Unseen Enemy, The Lesser Evil) and to generate a powerful social commentary (Corner in Wheat, The Usurer). But, as The Unchanging Sea demonstrates, he was also able to harness the technique for more elegiac purposes. In these fifteen films -- plus eight bonus shorts -- one finds Griffith experimenting with (and thus contributing to the development of) various genres, including the Western (The Last Drop of Water), the crime picture (The Musketeers of Pig Alley), and the seafaring drama (Enoch Arden, one of Griffith's earliest two-reel endeavors).
Disc One contents:
- Those Awful Hats (1909. 3 mins.)
- The Sealed Room (1909. 11 mins.)
- Corner in Wheat (1909. 14 mins.)
- The Unchanging Sea (1910. 13 mins.)
- His Trust (1911. 14 mins.)
- The New York Hat (1912. 16 mins.)
- An Unseen Enemy (1912. 15 mins.)
- The Mothering Heart (1913. 23 mins.)
- (bonus short) The Adventures of Dollie (1908. 12 mins.)
- (bonus short) The Usurer (1910. 18 mins.)
- (bonus short) Enoch Arden (1911. 33 mins.)
- (bonus short) The Miser's Heart (1911. 16 mins.)
Disc Two contents:
- The Musketeers of Pig Alley (1912. 18 mins.)
- The Burglar's Dilemma (1912. 15 mins.)
- The Sunbeam (1912. 15 mins.)
- The Painted Lady (1912. 12 mins.)
- One is Business, The Other Crime (1912. 15 mins.)
- Death's Marathon (1913. 15 mins.)
- The Battle at Elderbush Gulch (1913. 29 mins.)
- (bonus short) The Last Drop of Water (1911. 13 mins.)
- (bonus short) Friends (1912. 13 mins.)
- (bonus short) The Lesser Evil (1912. 13 mins.)
- (bonus short) The Massacre (1912. 30 mins.)
Interested in bringing Biograph Shorts (Special Edition) to your school or library? If you'd like to have an in-class viewing, on-campus screening, or purchase the DVD for your library's collection, please contact Estelle Grosso or call (212) 629-6880 with your request.
Biograph Shorts (Special Edition) may also be available with Public Performance Rights (PPR) and Digital Site Licensing (DSL) for colleges and universities. To purchase the DVD with PPR or DSL, please contact Estelle Grosso or call (212) 629-6880. Click here to learn more at Kino Lorber Edu.
"Now, with the 4K Blu-ray release [by] Kino Lorber, I’m hoping this movie will find the love it so richly deserves.…' https://t.co/bCWCXY4i4Y'
RT' @EW': Trailers From Hell sets sail with the monstrously fun Deep Rising' https://t.co/wlszvcGn0W'
RT' @TrailersFromHel': Monsters From The Ocean Floor Week starts off in style with' @madmanmendez’s' brand new trailer commentary for the subma…
RT' @ThePlaylist': '.@KinoLorber' in partnership w/ new film & music label #SeventySeven to release #BABYLON, landmark 1980 feature about race…
"Godard pursues an alternative history that relates cinematic failings to political ones... he also revisits his ar…' https://t.co/8etj5WkMdj'
Matt Tyrnauer's' @studio54doc' is still the #1 documentary on' @itunes'! See for yourself what's got everyone buzzing...' https://t.co/uGCjGfMRW9'
RT' @Kanopy': As shocking as it is riveting, OF FATHERS AND SONS provides an unprecedented look at a radical Islamic family in Syria, and the…
🎙' @WAMCRadio' calls Pioneers: First Women Filmmakers "the most exciting Blu-ray set of vintage titles to recently be…' https://t.co/j0FwT672BN'
Inquiries & Press
333 W. 39th St., Ste. 503
New York, NY 10018
Tel. (800) 562-3330
Fax. (212) 714-0871
Press & Media
For publicity assistance and press inquiries please contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 212-629-6880.